All those handling legal work, whether solicitors, chartered legal executives, licensed conveyancers or paralegals, and whether at assistant, associate or partner level need to take an active interest in operational risk issues such as:
- Compliance with the 7 over-arching principles.
- Compliance with the Code of Conduct for Solicitors 2019.
- client vetting.
- the risks posed by difficult clients.
- client engagement and matter risk assessment.
- developing an awareness of risks in specific practice areas.
- the need for file reviews or other techniques to measure the quality of work undertaken.